Novel Microdevices is looking for a Sr Electrical and Firmware Engineer to lead firmware development of our Molecular Diagnostic Product. This role is an opportunity at a fast-paced team developing a rapid point-of-care molecular diagnostic product. An Electrical/Firmware Engineer will be responsible for the development and maintenance of new and existing PCBs, and the firmware to operate them. The position would help support the company with its existing contract development firm as we transition the work to in-house.
You will be required to use your knowledge, experience, and technical judgment to lead our Electrical/Firmware development effort and ensure that company milestones are met in a timely manner. Additional responsibilities are to perform verification/validation of the product. The role requires vast technical knowledge and strong communication as you will work across teams and organizations to ensure that products get delivered on-time with high quality.
This is a key leadership role in our organization that requires a seasoned person with a deep understanding of current technologies, industry trends and competitive offerings. The role entails a broad functional oversight on the development effort as well as a strategic component in planning and vision to launch Novel Dx as a world class diagnostic platform.
- Designing, debugging, coding, testing, and documenting hardware and firmware designs
- Compliance with company documentation and testing in accordance with the requirements of the company Quality Management System
- Works in a fast-paced multi-disciplinary team across manufacturing, computer, and biological labs
- Providing excellent product support to users
- Influence the selection of technology, technology partners and development partners to ensure project success; Build and grow the team as the job duties transition from development to product support
- Plan and lead technical development activities from concept through successful commercialization
- Ensure excellent planning and effective use of resources that will achieve organizational goals within established schedules, budgets, and product cost targets
- Interact routinely with R&D Leadership on matters concerning firmware engineering technologies, development projects, and business milestones and effectively communicate progress toward project/program goals
- Lead or participate in design reviews and assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements.
- Develop Verification and Validation plans and coordinate the execution of V&V; Ensure compliance and the application of best practice software engineering methods to produce robust software designs
- Drive tactical and strategic planning for system/software architecture
- Provide technology assessment of competitive systems
- Provides input into yearly budget planning and ongoing resource planning
- Programming experience of 8 and 32-bit microprocessors and microcontrollers (ATMega, ARM, etc.)
- Electrical engineering for the circuits under control of the processors including PCB design
- Familiarity with typical analog and digital components, MOSFETs, flow meters, multiplexers, load cells, LEDs & LED drivers, relays, amplifiers, etc.
- Familiarity low-level protocols and controls: I2C, RS-232, PWM, DAC/ADC, PID, busses
- Common low-level languages like: Assembly, C/C++, CircuitPython
- Strong analytical, debugging, and problem solving skills
- Familiarization and applied experience with IEC/ISO standards as related to Medical Device development and lifecycle management in an FDA regulated environment preferred.
- Experience in Healthcare and software development for Point of Care Diagnostic Devices
- At least 5+ years of proven managerial experience
- Strong Interpersonal skills and Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to explain complex technical problems to non-technical audience
- Experience with git source control and proper git practices
- Experience with Linux, both kernel development and general usage
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, or other STEM majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), with 10+ years of experience
- Masters/Doctoral degree in related field with 5+ years of experience
- 5+ years managing people/vendors/partners
Professional conferences and events